The PACER project is a programme of research to track and – critically, going beyond simple descriptive opinion polling – explain the forces shaping public support for the British government’s newly expanded role in society. We are collecting longitudinal data from a panel of British citizens to understand how and why respondent attitudes vary.
Our core interests are in (UK) public opinion regarding:
- lockdown measures;
- policies designed to support companies;
- levels of health spending;
- the operation of the welfare system and the deservingness of its users;
- the appropriate scope of government intervention in the economy;
- appropriate levels of taxation;
- the importance of debt- and deficit-reduction;
- approval of and trust in the UK government.